Under privileged women from all over Karachi are issued Al Zohra Welfare cards to lessen the burden of running their households. All Al Zohra Welfare cards are made after proper Background checks. The women are interviewed and if they seem deserving, their residence is visited for a surprise check. At present women from 28 different areas are coming which include, Baldia, Korangi,Orangi, Banaras, Shirin jinnah, Keamari, Azam basti, Qayyumabad,New Karachi, Gizri, Malir, Qaidabad, Allah Walla town, Akhtar Colony, Punjab Colony, Dehli Colony, Liaqatabad, Kala Pul, Landhi, Hijrat Colony,Muhajir camp, Gulistan e Johar, Kati Pahari, Nomaish, Saddar, North Nazimabad, North Karachi, Dalmia and Ibrahim Hyderi.
Criteria of eligibility for an Al Zohra Welfare card:-
1. Widowed grandmothers left with the task of taking care of orphaned grandchildren. Mostly these grandmothers do not have an earning member in the family
2. Old widows or single women who do not have an earning member, or do not have kids to take care of them and are alone.
3. Single mothers with small children, who cannot leave their kids with anyone to go out and earn a living.
4. Wives or daughters with the father, husband or the earning member very sick or bed ridden.
After all verification and personal visit, They are issued an Al Zohra card through which they get monthly Ration and Education stipend.
The education grant cards or education stipend makes the holder eligible to get monthly monetary stipend to cover the cost of education, this is of Rs.2000 or 2400/month. In addition sometimes uniforms, extra money for books and stationery is provided. The progress of a student is monitored through their term report cards, a copy of which has to be submitted every term. They are also given incentives for higher grades, with presents and gifts etc.
These cards are issued to encourage the underprivileged people in the slum areas to educate their children especially their daughters.
All of Al Zohra Teachers are encouraged for further education. They are helped financially to pay for their books and courses and are given paid preparatory leave for examinations. Many of the teachers joined after their intermediate exams but are now graduates and have done their masters.
Ration distribution is done during the first week of every month to Al Zohra Card holders. The Ration pack is worth Rs 2400/- Some of the more deserving households are given larger ration packs plus money. Women who cannot afford essential medicines are provided Tegretol for epilepsy, high blood pressure medicines, diabetes medicine and thalesemia medicines.
Because of lack of funds we unfortunately have to refuse and turn away many deserving women. At present the monthly requirement for our card holders is more than three lakh.
This is not only for the card holders; Any one eligible for Zakat can apply with an application stamped and verified by their neighborhood masjid’s Imam. The bride to be and the mother are interviewed separately and if needed their home is visited for verification. They are provided with clothes and basic supplies. Cash is very seldom given.
Free Skin Clinic by Our Member Dr.Naqeeba Munshi (MCPS).
Three Lady doctors volunteer to treat the underprivileged people of the area and other areas for free.
1. Skin clinic by Dermatologist Dr Naqeeba Munshi MCPS on Thursdays. A highly qualified skin specialist has been coming to Alzohra since 2004.Mrs Tahira Nisar assists her and is responsible for getting the medicines needed. Many chronic patients have been cured by her.